Tuesday, January 09, 2007

How to Become A Freelance English Copywriter

If you’ve come here from Wikipedia, as I know many of you have, the first thing I would suggest is to learn spelling and grammar.

I know this may sound boring, but if I were an employer, I would never hire a copywriter who couldn’t spell or put together a sentence.

Sure there is plenty of ATL (above the line) work out there, and I am lucky enough to get to do a lot of it, but if you don’t have the bread and butter writing skills on top of the big ideas, you will always be in a precarious position.

There will always be banks and banks will always be the biggest clients of advertising agencies. So use it as an in. If you can write a DM piece or bill insert for something as dry as a credit card upgrade, I would say that is lesson one in learning the craft.

From there, jump to this link to learn more: Busting in as a freelance copywriter