Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Through the Line, Below the Line and Above the Line Copywriting

ATL, BTL and TTL are more than just fancy lingo that copywriters throw around. They refer to three different subgroups of creative copywriting.

ATL refers to commissioned ads such as television, radio, outdoor, cinema, press (the fun stuff) while BTL refers to non-commissioned work such as direct mail, sponsorship, promotions and public relations (bread and butter stuff).

TTL is a combination of the two.

In today’s market, it is important to be able to write for all three. I am lucky at Publicis in the sense that I spend half of my day catching sparks for big creative ideas and the other half working on my craft writing longer copy. It is a good balance, and as a copywriter, it is useful to have experience doing both. As you may have guessed from this blog, I have never been one to specialize, I always find you are sharper when well-rounded.