Monday, November 13, 2006

Why Advertising?

Advertising is a funny industry.

Since I have been doing it I have met some incredibly bright and creative people. It is a job that seems to attract some sharp minds, despite being known as the greatest waste of human intelligence since chess. But why would someone be interested in this reputedly diabolical profession in the first place?

I think a lot of them are out to change that very perception.

I didn’t get into advertising to make bad ads. I don’t think that anyone does. From those I've met, they are in this profession to make something better than what is out there now. To provide a form of insight that is at least engaging and rewarding to the viewer, and to take something that is pretty much universally despised, and make it better. That is our job.

I have a bias, because my media diet is entirely online, so I only see good ads that I choose to watch. But for those who watch TV, and are constantly interrupted by crap, I can understand that hearing that anyone would actually want to be involved in this industry would warrant a raised eyebrow.

For me, I saw this ad, and thought, I want to make more ads like that. Hopefully one day I’ll get a chance to work with Spike Jonze.

One thing I really like about Publicis is how we see bad ads as lost battles. It is a great attitude to have, and it keeps us motivated to produce good work. It’s not easy though. It seems like I never sleep anymore.