Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Life of an English Freelance Copywriter

I have to say, being an advertising copywriter is one of the best jobs in the world. I love it. It doesn't get much better than when your work is your two favourite things: thinking and writing. It's a great job. Crazy mind-bending puzzles every day.

It's the kind of job millions of people would love to have, but what separates the wheat from the chaff is the hours. Crazy hours: 12, 14, 16 hour days. It is intense. It's okay for me, because writing is my life right now and I don't really know anyone or have anything better to do. But I can see a lot of people going, "Well, I would rather just work at a job I think is okay and then spend time with my friends and family."

People always ask me, 'Do you know anyone here?' and I say, 'no.' Then they ask why I came to Hong Kong and I tell them I don't know. I really don't, but I like it here, and I'm going to stay.

I see they are even making a reality show now about people trying to break into a job as an advertising copywriter, a la The Apprentice.

I'm still not there yet, though. But there is a big pitch coming up, we'll see what happens.

This better not be one of those shows where everyday folk take glee in watching other's fail to reach unattainable goals. That's the kind of crap that made me stop watching TV (that and bad ads).

To find out more about what a day in the life of a freelance copywriter is like, click here.